I realized I had already edited the photos of the March 1882 evening gown I made out of a cotton print with clocks, flowers, and other things that looks sort of Steampunk, but I forgot to type up the post about it. Well, here it is. 🙂
It’s from this book, complete info on my books and links page.
Here is a photocopied picture of the engraving in the book. Because it isn’t off the shoulders and has 3/4 length sleeves, it’s for a less formal evening occasion, like a dinner or theater rather than the opera or a really important ball.
Here are the pattern pages from the book.
Below is how I sewed it together. Since I hadn’t made this style before, the train presented a few challenges, but the rest was pretty straightforward.
Laying out the pattern.
The pattern is traced.
The interfacing is fused on.
The darts are traced.
The darts are sewn.
The back pieces are sewn together.
The facing pieces are sewn together.
The darts are pressed.
The back lining pieces are sewn together.
The tucks in the front lining, where the darts are in the front (on the outer, or self, fabric).
Part of the train.
The train is hemmed.
The shoulder seams are sewn.
The side seams are sewn.
Part of the train is pleated.
The sleeves are attached to the bodice, front view.
The lining is attached to the bodice at the facing edges. I didn’t line the sleeves. I felt that they didn’t need it but the bodice did.
The armscye/sleeve seam of the self fabric and the armscye of the lining fabric are joined and covered by bias tape.
Lower train pieces.
The train back (on the left) and the front of it (on the right).
The upper front part of the train.
Lace on the neckline. I didn’t like how it turned out so I removed it and used less lace.
Lace for the sleeves.
Front of dress with the new neckline lace.
Inside the bodice.
Back of the gown.
Detail of the front with the buttons sewn on.
Here I am in the dress with my sister Lydia, ready to go to the 1st Portland Steampunk Ball in July 2012, photo by my brother-in-law, Daren. My skirt is just plain cotton. I used my skirt sloper and made a gored skirt, splitting the sloper at the darts and making it longer with some extra flare at the bottom so I had room to walk.
My friend Christelle modeled it for me at the GEARcon 2013 Steampunk convention fashion show (I didn’t get a copy of the small one below, but I’ve added a larger of another pose of her in the same dress below that).