The 16th of June was my husband’s birthday. He wanted carrot cake from Winco (cheap grocery store here), which is really good cake, but I was glad that Andrea brought strawberry shortcake. We had a little party on our back deck because the weather was finally warm enough and dry enough to do something outside.
Now it’s Fathers’ Day. Happy Fathers’ Day to all fathers!
On Memorial Day weekend was our (mostly if not all urban) county’s fair, which seems early for a fair, and also the kickoff of our Rose Festival, all of which I unintentionally missed. I entered a skirt, which got 2nd prize, a dress, which got a participation ribbon, and a shirt I made for my husband, which didn’t get anything. I got a premium check and I got an appliqué quilt kit. I guess I’ll do more for next year.
I have been working on taking apart a suit jacket to see the guts and make a jacket to fit a friend. I will blog about that when I get done with it. Also I will put up pix of the sewing of my husband’s shirt when I get done editing them. Working on some other things, too.
Here are how I made the red dress. This is almost the same as the post for the floral linen-rayon blend 1950s type dress, only this is the original design with a collar and longer sleeves. These pix better show the sewing involved. When I sew, I sew as many seams as I can then press them all then sew, press, sew, press. I did a lot of work on the bow on the back of the dress then worked on the darts and seams in the bodice and things then went back to the bow, but I’m showing all the steps of the bow together so it’s less confusing.
First, of course, wash your fabric if it’s washable and if your interfacing instructions say to preshrink, do that, too. Press your fabric, lay out and cut everything, and fuse the interfacing to the facing/collar pieces and the waist pieces.
This dress is my original design and pattern.
Now I’ll work on editing more photos.